In this lesson you will understand more about a mother’s love by listening to a beautiful story called “The Icing on the Cake”
The video was created by the StoryCorps YouTube Channel.
This lesson has three stages that every listening lesson should have so I hope that you enjoy the activity and learn more about what mothers do for their children.
Tabla de Contenidos
#1 Pre-Listening: A Mother’s Love
The pre-listening stage has three important tasks that will prepare you for the actual reading.
Task #1: Read the Introduction
Blanca Alvarez and her husband risked crossing the border to immigrate into the U.S. and then struggled to make ends meet.
They hoped to shelter their children from these harsh realities, but Blanca’s daughter Connie reveals how much children can really see of their parents’ lives—and the inspiration they draw from their struggles.
Task #2: Check the Meaning of these Words
|to struggle||to put kids to bed|
|to make ends meet||to go through a lot of things|
|gardeners||to raise children,|
|night shift||to neglect|
|candy dishes||to finish college|
|to achieve dreams||icing on the cake|
Task #3: Thinking about Mother’s Love
Ponder about and answer these questions before watching the video
- Do you recognize what parents do or have done for you?
- What is the best examples that you have seen in your parents lives?
#2 While Listening: A Mother’s Love
Watch the video The Icing on the cake and think of these questions while watching it
- What were the first jobs that the family had when they arrived to the country?
- What is one of the memories that Connie had when her mom took her and her brother to work?
- What was the things that the family had to go through when arriving to the United States?
- What would Blanca had done different if she had the opportunity to raise her kids again?
- How was Blanca’s example an inspiration for Connie?
#3 Post-Listening Stage: A Mother’s Love
Write a 50-word paragraph stating how your loved ones have served as an inspiration to achieve your goals.